Select Page

2xMore Challenge

3D Print wood filaments

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of AADHITHYA AADHITHYA 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Submission
    Profile photo of AADHITHYA
    AADHITHYA
    Participant

My concept proposes to use wood chips or saw dust to make the filaments of wooden 3D printer.
    Models in wood are constructed from a brown, very fine, granular powder made from wood chips. The surface has a sandy, granular look, and is slightly porous.
    Wood is perfect for complex models, as it allows for interlocking and moving parts.

It is already possible to make 3D printed models of wood in small sizes, I think it can be scaled up to 3D print big furnitures using wood dust or wood chips hence we can reuse the wood almost completely. I think FPIntell should research in this field as already 3D printing is a widespread technology now.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of Jaime Millan
    Jaime Millan

Recycled woodfibres are currently being used for 3D printer filaments: http://colorfabb.com/woodfill-fine.

Profile photo of Mark Anson
    Mark Anson

I agree that 3D wood printing is worthy of considerable study.  FPInnovations is currently looking at scaling up printing to an architectural scale, similar to the efforts made by the concrete industry.  Whether through a slurry, filament or veneer tape, being able to place a wood material using computer control would drastically expand the ability for architects and engineers to realize their designs.  We could see an explosion of rational structures based on biomimicry and fractal equations.  These designs could use less material and embody far less energy.

AADHITHYA
    Participant

I agree with u and good to know FPinnovations is already into it as I think it is a great way to completely recycle wood dust.

AADHITHYA
    Participant

Thanks for the information, I am aware f it but currently it is expensive and used for 3d printing decorative items not furniture so I think it can be used in a larger scale, something similar to concrete 3d printing utilizing waste saw wood dust/wood chips.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘The 2xMore Challenge’ is closed to new topics and replies.