Select Page

2xMore Challenge

A 3D rough chip coco-fiber panel for climbing wall

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mathieu VERDET Mathieu VERDET 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Submission

Climbing is an existing sport. Limits are just specified to be pass. The best experience is on cliff for freedom and nature but it is not always possible due to the weather, the time or the localization. Nonetheless, to progress a regular and diversified training is necessary. That’s why today we can find more and more complex climbing rooms.

The major challenge with the climbing wall is the security, the surface and the durability. Actually, structures are generally constituted of plywood which can be coated with polyurethane and sand to obtain a rough surface. For a nature sport, it’s not very green and there are lots of deteriorations over the time (notably inkings). In addition, people like nonlinear and diversified profiles on the wall.

Concept:
    The concept is to propose a new panel originally rough with a high resistance to inking withdrawal based on coconut fibers and chip. In option it can be added a 3D form to obtain complex constructions. In the same time, the goal is to reduce the emissions (formaldehyde…)

Process:
    Inspired of the high performance panel, the base is a sandwich with layers of coconut fibers on surface and chips inside. In agreement with this concept the choice of the glue must be environmentally friendly.

In order to obtain the 3D form there are two possibilities:
    –    Realize a panel which is then deformed under temperature.
    –    Realize a 3D base (mold) where fibers and chips are deposed. Then press and heat with a membrane.

The second method is the best for complex form which can be modeled with a CNC (mold).

After panel will be drill and inkings added. The wall stays adjustable and actual inkings like the third photo is kept.

To go farther
    In order to have a highest impact we can add climbing holds manufactured with chips and colored resin to identify way.

Environmental assets:
    Comparison with the actual constructions:
    –    low emissions with no coating
    –    durability and security
    –     less energy-guzzling with recycled raw materials

Rough and 3D resume in three words the dream for all climbers in room.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

In order to improve the concept, I think we can add one step toward an ecological consumption with climbings hold built with the same concept of @AADHITHYA (glue + dust)

Profile photo of Mark Anson
    Mark Anson

I always find indoor climbing gyms look very angular and planer, as seen in your first image.  I like the more organic curves that your pressed panels could become.  I would be reluctant to press holds directly into the panel, as the gyms I know like to move the holds around once in a while.  Shifting holds allows the gym to adjust the difficulty levels and provide some variety to the climbing routes.

Consider using a coloured resin to avoid having the paint wear off.

I totally agree with you, curve are just for the global/general forms. In all cases I think to keep independent climbing holds which are fixed with bolt and inkings like the third photo (actual system). The wall must be adjustable as you say.

Used a coloured resin is a good improvement for holds in order to identify the way. I will add in the description.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘The 2xMore Challenge’ is closed to new topics and replies.