Select Page

2xMore Challenge

Oil spill bags

• Creator
    Submission

AADHITHYA
    Participant
    @saadithya

My concept proposes the use of wood dust/wood chips for adsorbing oil from oil spills which is a big environmental problem these days.

There are two ways to use wood dust/ wood chips for this process

1. Using Oil spill bags

Here in this method wood dust is filled in oil permeable sacks and dropped in ocean where oil is spilled. The wood dust will float along with the bag and will adsorb oil selectively, after adsorbing the oil the bags can easily be removed and after drying the bags it can be burnt as fuel. In this process oil is removed from oceans. Here we can utilize tons of wood dust.

2.Nanofibrillated cellulose sponges

Scientists have already found out that it possible to make nanofibrillated cellulose sponges using wood dust/wood chips that can soak upto 50 times their own weight in water. The sponge selectively adsorbs oil and repels water which makes it ideal for this use.

Regular NFC (nanofibrillated cellulose) is made by adding water to cellulose-containing materials (such as wood waste, discarded paper or agricultural by-products), extruding the resulting pulp at high pressure to create a gel, then freeze-drying the gel to remove the water. This results in a sponge made up of “long and interconnected cellulose nanofibres,” that soaks up both oil and water.

Attachments:
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

AADHITHYA
    Participant
    @saadithya

The image shows a nanofibrillated cellulose sponge adsorbing oil selectively in red and repelling water in blue.

Attachments:

Jaime Millan
    @mrjmr

I really like this idea, but I dont know how you plan to make ordinary the wood chips behave like the nanofibrillated cellulose sponges. What you are suggesting is using the recycled chips to make these sponges?

AADHITHYA
    Participant
    @saadithya

Thanks for your feedback and support.Regular NFC (nanofibrillated cellulose) is made by adding water to cellulose-containing materials (such as wood waste, discarded paper or agricultural by-products), extruding the resulting pulp at high pressure to create a gel, then freeze-drying the gel to remove the water. This results in a sponge made up of “long and interconnected cellulose nanofibres.

Jaime Millan
    @mrjmr

Thanks for your reply. Just some food for thought, why do you think using recycled wood chips for this purpose would be more effective than the options you mention to be already in use:  discarded paper, agricultural waste. You mention wood waste, what kind? Waste from forest operations? Sawmills?

AADHITHYA
    Participant
    @saadithya

I think this will offer a solution to oil spills in sea which is major problems these days so if we could develop something like NFC sponge then it could be of great help.

By wood waste I mean wood which is discarded and not put into any use, I have read some articles in which people are just burning tons of wood dust just to get rid of it. I thought we could put such wood to better use.

Jaime Millan
    @mrjmr

Thanks for the clarification. NFC sponge is a truly an amazing scientific advancement. Hopefully we can see this scaled up in the near future.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘The 2xMore Challenge’ is closed to new topics and replies.