Select Page

BioBuild Challenge

Lignin Foam

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of D Gaker D Gaker 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Submission
    Profile photo of D Gaker
    D Gaker

Polyurethane foam made from kraft lignin shows substantial potential as insulation.  Current research indicates very good thermal properties as well as dimensional stability.  This foam should be used in structural insulated panels as well as in acoustic insulation between rooms.

Because kraft lignin is primarily an industrial byproduct, this application should be economically competitive with SIPs of more conventional construction.

[starrater tpl=44 size=’24’]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of D Gaker
    D Gaker

Here’s a study I found which has the conclusion that lignin polyol can be used to create a polyurethane “foam with better mechanical properties than its commercial counterpart.”

Attachments:
    Profile photo of D Gaker
    D Gaker

The product I am proposing is a rigid foam board insulation using lignin foam.  It is 2″ in thickness and uses card stock to provide tensile structural integrity much like the flanges of an I-beam.

This board can be used on exterior walls as stand-alone insulation or in combination or layers to provide additional thermal insulation.  It can be used on interior walls to reduce acoustic pollution from other rooms and to reduce reverberation.  It can be used as a continuous layer or it can be cut to fit between structural members or around utilities.

Attachments:
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Lignin Foam’ is closed to new replies.