Select Page

Re-Imagining Wood Challenge

Re-use, Reduce & Recycle

• Creator
    Submission

ciscolara
    @ciscolara

Wood is one of the most commonly used materials across all kinds of industry, especially building, manufacture, transport and packaging. Huge amounts of wood are used once and then thrown away, despite the fact that it is still perfectly re-usable.

This project reuse and recycle small pieces of wood to build a playground for children. Offering and allowing the user to play, while performs, from simple movements to complex motion sequences that require the use of the whole body.”Reuse, Reduce and Recycle” proposes two situations, a temporary and a permanent one.

• 1-A traveling exhibition that will allow the project to be design and prefabricated to travel to other places (museums, libraries, exhibitions, etc.) to be installed and dismantled by a local community of volunteers.

• 2-A permanent “site-specific” installation located near existing trees in a park, incorporatingvegetation and adapting itself to different locations, letting time play an important role with the aging of the wood and the growth of moss on surface.

The raw material for the construction of the project it’s recycled wood, which will be dimensioned in equal little pieces, bonded together with screws, allowing to easily be installed and dismantled.

Parametric design will play a vital role in the projection of the proposal, allowing to connect dimensions and variables to the geometry, according to the available waste wood, to performed quickly and without re-drawing, design modifications and computational process of complex three-dimensional geometries.

The idea is to sustainably generate a landscape inspired by nature, to recycle wood  and to naturally integrate one of the most common processes of wood (to rot) allowing the project to evolve over time, due to decomposition and sediment emanated from the above trees (leafs and seeds) until the project finally meets its cycle and must be dismantled before it falls apart. Exploiting wood and giving an interactive and ecological use to it, before being exposed to rot in a landfill full of trash.

[starrater tpl=44 size=’24’]

Final Concept

Attachments:
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Joe Hagedorn
    @joehagedorn

Mistakes will happen… O r Perhaps that is your plan….if so…i am on board….

J

Gabriel Tarmassi
    @gabriel-tarmassi

So if i understand right, you are using the wood as ab base to create a base over time for the plants that will grow on the playground?

// // // // // // // // // // // //

ciscolara
    @ciscolara

The most important thing is that this concept is that re-uses and recycles small pieces of wood…….. recycling wood sustainably and naturally integrating one of the common processes of wood (to rot)

here my idea of geometry for the project

Attachments:

Gabriel Tarmassi
    @gabriel-tarmassi

Hm, are you planning to fill the spaces between the rows with soil? Or are they just standing alone, like stuck into the ground?

I think because of the dimensions of each wood block (26cm in lenght, as you said), the creation of forms is quite modular, and allows an easy adaption to the ground.

How are you planning to fix the single pieces in the ground?

ciscolara
    @ciscolara

Actually you just made me think about something that could work even better!

I will get back to you soon!
    Thanks for the interest and support!

Before I was thinking about making a layer, a strong layer of wood that will seat on top of the ground. Now you just made me think about the possibility of adding soil in between.

Gabriel Tarmassi
    @gabriel-tarmassi

Yeah, to me that would make more sense. If you fill the spaces between the rows with soil, the amount of wood needed would be decreased.

ciscolara
    @ciscolara

Inspiration comes from here
    Giant’s Causeway, Northern Ireland
    Inpiration

inspiration 2

Joe Hagedorn
    @joehagedorn

You have an interesting module for the building blocks of what I interpret as an architectural landscape with the potential of being an outdoor classroom for children and adults.  The three R’s could be applied more intensely by using all parts of the tree (bark, trimmings, foliage, to layer the project over soil and perhaps stabilize the soil with some strategic live plantings with deep root structures.  The opposite end of the forest canopy.  Like your photos human dynamics..Cheers

ciscolara
    @ciscolara

Joe Hagedorn quote “Like your photos human dynamics”?……. what do you mean? and I am uploading a picture of your idea………………. is this right? thats is what you mean.

Gabriel  tarmassi what Joe says is very similar to your idea.

Gonna think about all this

Attachments:

ciscolara
    @ciscolara

This is what I had in mind right from the start.

Attachments:

ciscolara
    @ciscolara

Joe hagerdon picture refrence for what you mean?

Gabriel Tarmassi picture refrence for what you mean?

Attachments:

Gabriel Tarmassi
    @gabriel-tarmassi

yes, the picture on the left of your last post really comes close to what it mean. If i am rigth, the rows there are made of horizontal planks, in your case there would be the vertical standing pieces of wood instead.

Mark Anson
    @mark

The concept of rotting ground cover is great.  I am a little wary of involving children in the process.  Have you considered this for soil retention?  It would seem ideal for stabilizing steep slopes, river banks, ditches, road sides and other expose areas, often prone to damage caused by erosion from wind or water.  You could then use a variety of lengths that simple get driven into the ground at different depths to leave the correct desired exposure and create the necessary hold to the ground.  As the wood matt rots, so then the natural vegetation takes over and roots the soil.  Voids could be left for planting to be introduced.  Your giant’s causeway image would look great while driving down a highway.  Depending on the location, perhaps it could be made from local excess materials, not just 2×4, such as all the tree tops that get left in the forest from logging?

Mark Anson
    @mark

Rather than staking the wood to the ground, perhaps the wood could be fastened to a mesh before arriving on site.  Now you simply drape the wood over the landscape.

Mark Anson
    @mark

What is the source that you are recycling from?  I grew up in a mill town and my neighbours house had solid walls built from short 2×6 mill ends.  Similar to your concept, he gathered up all the offcuts from making lumber, and each day stacked up a bit more of his house.  I help demolish the house a few years ago and you would not believe the number of nails!  Have you considered how you will fasten your blocks?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘Re-Imagining Wood’ is closed to new topics and replies.