Select Page

Re-Imagining Wood Challenge

Wooden clutch, (wood as a fabric)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of charlotte kennedy charlotte kennedy 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Submission

I have been a wood worker my entire life, from the early days of a child in my fathers wood shop learning all that I could about wood and its properties, to present where I am constantly trying to push the boundaries and perceptions of what wood is and can be.

I wanted to break the perception that wood is a rigid and solid material and some how push it into a flexible and soft state. It took numerous attempts with various species of wood, along with different non-toxic liquids to finally achieve this final product.

Not only is it a material exploration, but a bridging of crafts and spaces. This Clutch is inspired by the boat building trade that enabled the navigation of the waters that lead to exploration and discovery of all that is today.

Dimensions 9″ x 5″ x 2″

Wood Fabric is 1/16 of an inch this and is soft and as flexible as leather, water proof, and doesn’t crack.

[starrater tpl=44 size=’24’]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of Mark Anson
    Mark Anson

Beautiful. I love the matching cleat detail.  Has the non- toxic liquid bath allowed the wood to bend in more directions than just parallel to the grain?  Am I right in understanding that this is a composite product of wood bonded to leather?

Hello,

that work is really gorgeous!

What kind of wood did you use and how did you make it more flexible in detail?

Ya its bonded to leather. It bends in all directions, but has limitation in compound bends. with the grain it can be rolled as tight as you can get it, but in perpendicular it can only be rolled around a pop can.

Mark Anson

This is a great piece of art and I hope you don’t find if I pick your brain a bit. What happens when you glue the wood veneer to both sides of the leather?  Does it become too stiff? Or two veneers over a cotton core?  With the leather in there, the wood starts to seem  a bit more like a cladding, rather than the primary structure.  Do you have a few failed clutch designs? If so, how did they fail?  What’s next?

ya if you put wood on both sides the wood would fight each other,,,like any wood lamination of 3 plys or more..

I have many upon many failed attempts creating this material…mainly cracking, stiffness, and delams..

I have countless wood projects on the go, mainly firniture

Mark Anson

Have you tried laminating both sides over a core of rubber, or such?  A soft inner ply would allow each wood layer to move on its own.  This option allows the magician to not reveal his trick.  After all, you are working magic in wood.

How soft to the touch is this material? Have you applied it to soft furnishings (lamp shades, pillows?), these could complement your furniture range.

Its very soft, similar to a thick leather. This is my first project with it, but am working in collaboration with a fashion designer to make a dress that will be a combination of this material and some typical textiles.

Love the idea of making clothes. How does the material stand up to intensive use, how does it look when it ages? If it is as soft as leather it could even be used as an upholstery material, it would give a unique look and be easy to clean. You mention that you experimented with different types of wood? Is there just one that works or can you use different ones? And what about using a mix of different types of wood for a different effect?

Mark Anson

When steam bending, the wood turns to wet noodle before solidifying as it cools. Are there and treatments that allow the wood to maintain that malleability longterm?  Turn the lignin to permanent jelly.

Profile photo of D Gaker
    D Gaker

Is the finished product translucent at all.  I’m imagining a lampshade.

http://corriecroft.com/corrie.htm

Attachments:

Oh that lampshade is a very good idea. I can imagine producing a lampshade that is foldable/ can be pushed together to use space more efficient when the lamp is not in use.

But another solution based on your project idea could be a seperation wall that can be rolled and pulled out of another fixed wall when needed. It basically works like a roulade but only that it works horizontal and not vertical.

Profile photo of D Gaker
    D Gaker

Gabriel,

I was initially thinking about apartment furniture that benefits a lot from being collapsible (for storage or for moving).  A separation wall that looks good and morphs is an awesome idea, especially for studios where it is nice to have flexible space; more for entertaining, less for privacy.

http://www.decoist.com/2012-08-08/melissa-collison-crafting-contemporary-homes-with-unique-designs-and-vibrant-interiors/

Attachments:

unfortunately it isnt translucent in its current form, but it is possible with some effort I imagine.

woods with high oil content work the best.

it wears as wood does, so in high friction applications it would hold its finish as well, like a seat cushion.

jelly lignin, that would be cool

Beautiful work! They would look great in many different sizes too. A clutch or even a backpack/shoulder bag. How would the wood hold up to wear and tear I against the body, it seems really strong and smooth.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Re-Imagining Wood’ is closed to new topics and replies.