Select Page

3D Printing with Wood Challenge

3D Printing using saw dust and resin

• Creator
    Submission

AADHITHYA
    Participant
    @saadithya

My concept proposes to use saw dust and resin for making large sized 3d furniture. The saw dust and resin will be filled in furniture shaped polythene bags which inflates with this mixture and once it is dried the bag can be removed to obtain the solid furniture below.

The saw dust and resin mixture can be prepared using a 3d printer mixer which prepares the appropriate mixture required for the task and a pump at the bottom can be used to fill the furniture shaped bags to make the furniture designs.

Using this process it might be possible to make use of saw dust or reuse saw dust which otherwise is burnt to ashes.

Attachments:
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Samir Shah
    @4axyz

Very cool.

I have some questions… What do you anticipate the compressive strength of the product? It would be determined by the forces of the compressor blowing in the mixture I suppose.  Would the blowing in process fill the space – crannies and nooks and grooves and bulges – evenly, or would it start honeycombing? If you use very high compressive forces to blow in the material, would not the plastic need to be exceptionally strong?  In that case why fill it with another material in the first place?

And what would be the weight per cubic foot or cubic meter?

AADHITHYA
    Participant
    @saadithya

@Samir Thanks for your feedback.

I will answer all your queries.

What do you anticipate the compressive strength of the product? 

The wood produced in this process will have compressive strength greater than the one obtained by normal 3D printing of wood, in conventional 3D printer each layer is just stacked one over the other without any compression and still it is strong enough. The final strength will depend on the compressor.

It is also possible to obtain wood with high compressive strength and stiffness by subjecting it to viscoelastic thermal compression

Would the blowing in process fill the space – crannies and nooks and grooves and bulges – evenly, or would it start honeycombing?

The designs for this task will be designed in such a manner that the resin and saw dust can flow and fill up the spaces properly eliminating nooks and grooves. Think something like a cylindrical stool, a square sofa but it can be designed aesthetically.

If you use very high compressive forces to blow in the material, would not the plastic need to be exceptionally strong? 

I don’t suggest or plan to use high compressive forces here the force will be very less just enough for the saw dust and resin mixture to fill the plastic shaped covers which are strong enough to withstand the weight of resin and saw dust.

And what would be the weight per cubic foot or cubic meter?

It depends on the type of saw dust used, if balsa wood saw dust was used it will be around 40 kg per cubic meter.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘The 3D Printing with Wood Challenge’ is closed to new topics and replies.